[linux-elitists] ELNK Spam/Joe-Job confirmation request: [automated-response@earthlink.net: Re: trombone]

Andrew Moore amoore@mooresystems.com
Mon Oct 13 14:23:38 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 02:10:00AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I've received the following confirmation request from Earthlink's spam
> blocker challenge-response system.  It appears to be directed to me
> based on a spoofed 'From:' sender on an item of spam.

<snip>

> ----- Forwarded message from automated-response@earthlink.net -----
<snip some more>
> Click the link below to request that christgo@earthlink.net add you to this list.
> https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam/addme?a=christgo@earthlink.net&id=1a7DZz7li3NZFl40

I wonder how long that link is active. It's now archived
on at least one web page, meaning it will invariably be
followed by a client of some kind. It won't be long until
we can all spam christgo@earthlink.net with mails "from"
Karsten.

Does this represent yet another failure of challenge-response
systems? Is it a large enough one that it will be exploited
by spammers? Will we all start receiving spams "from" archived
mailing lists?

Stay tuned.

-Andy