Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 9 19:23:57 PDT 2003

on Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:36:12PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Karsten M. Self">
>
> > When I see shit, though, I call it.
> >
> > I see shit.
>
> Do you mean, "I see shit all"? :-)

I mean I see shit.  I smell shit.  And I direct you to the Cheech &
Chong skit on the topic.

Glad I didn't step in it.

> I've linked the GConf webpage and the GNOME System Administrator's
> Guide in previous emails. These are far more sensible places to look
> for information than the API documentation.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd expect gconftool-2 to be documented as if it
> were an end-user oriented tool.

Non sequitur.

manpages and info pages are not strictly end-user documementation.  They
*are* specifically administrator, developer, and power-user docs.

> It's not. It's for scripting, system adminstrators, and users with
> 'special needs'.

As I've pointed out several times:  its such uses -- and the ability to
modify gconf values administratively and remotely, or after significant
system damage, as an administrator, which I'm specifically looking for.

> I guess you'll scoff at this idea, and see it as further proof that
> GNOME is doomed, but I'm not sure how to get the "it doesn't matter to
> real users" point across to you.

Who the hell do you think is:

  - Promoting GNOME as an option to "real users".
  - Supporting "real users".

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/