Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 9 17:47:25 PDT 2003

on Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:53:02PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Martin Pool">
>
> > > [gconftool has little documentation]
> >
> > We agreed on this a long time ago.  Nobody ever said otherwise.  Does
> > repeating it at increasing volume achieve any useful purpose?
> >
> > Are you going to cause this kind of fuss about every free project with
> > scanty documentation?  Wouldn't it be better just to write the damn
> > documentation yourself?
>
> Meanwhile, taking advantage of the common --help idiom provides lots
> of information, and Ross Burton has just created a man page from this,
> which will most likely turn up in the GConf release accompanying GNOME
> 2.4.1 (due next weekish).

This is helpful.

> Of course, it would have been far easier to simply report this bug
> through the normal channels, without all of the pain and aggravation
> of this thread.

I made the point explicitly for several reasons.  Among them was
Martin's chastising me for not finding gconftool after I *had* rounded
up the usual suspects in searching for documentation and/or support.  A
"well, you're right, it doesn't show up in man, info, or package
listings, though command tab-completion might offer a clue" would have
been a more productive initial approach.  The fact that the tool has
existed for two years without being documented doesn't play well either.

I've already made my point about GNOME flouting multiple traditions of
documentation.  This is more than slightly maddening.

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Putting the "con" in conservatism