Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 9 17:13:42 PDT 2003

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> The basic tack of the axis of evasion's arguments is:

[list snipped]

Hardly surprising:  It's self-justifying in the fashion of all software
cults, Karsten.  They could get together with the djbware people and
shoot pool.

I pretty much gave up on this thread after noting the following
specimens of irrationality posted in non-response to my first post:

1.  Repeated flogging of something called "GNOME" when I had very
explicitly stated that I was concerned solely with Galeon, gnumeric, and
AbiWord.  Proponents of said software religion spoke as if they were the
maintainers of those three applications, which they are not.

2.  Allegation that a sane configuration-editing regime requires
intercession of a database mechanism.

   Hello?  1.  People have been working out edit access to /etc/*
   flat files for decades, satisfactorily.  E.g., if you have
   multiple root users who cannot be trusted to coordinate with
   one another, you keep them under version control.

   2.  However, most configuration changes would logically be
   per-user ones inside their home directories.  Which, we're
   being impliedly told with a straight face, are subject to concurrency
   problems?  I don't think so.  Unix is multi-user, remember?  Hello?

3.  Aforementioned utter failure to notice paragraph one of my
Galeon/gnumeric/AbiWord post, where I carefully noted that I'd written
it for another forum to refute an allegation that GConf is a fine way to
store application settings and is friendly towards Unix traditionalists'
way of managing such things.

4.  Above and beyond the rest:  Posting of generic, boilerplate
arguments that had little if any connection to the posts they purported
to reply to.  Jeff (in particular) has been speaking mostly _at_ us
rather than to us.  (Thus his bizarre conviction that, e.g., I "don't
like XML", which I nowhere expressed -- and his claim that I "want one big
file" in contradiction to my speaking specifically of system and
per-user configurations.  It goes on from there.)

If cared about this GNOME cult as opposed to Galeon, gnumeric, and
AbiWord, I'd consider that -- quite aside from the evasions and
attack-the-critic rubbish -- to be a bad sign.

--
Cheers,                   I once successfully declined a departmental retreat,
Rick Moen                 saying that on that day I planned instead to advance.