Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Thu Oct 9 13:13:38 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:15:33AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 12:10:40PM -0700, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> > In otherwords, "put up or shut up" :)
>
> This I'm going to take an extreme exception to.

Why?

<weird comparison to my phrase and pissing other people off and getting
kicked off of mailing lists snipped>

> Censorship is bullshit, Greg.

I'm not saying stop talking.  Just don't keep talking and not producing
any valid code, and expect anyone to take you seriously.  You can keep
talking all you want, just don't get pissy if no one implements your
ideas.  I'm not censoring _anyone_ here.  I don't have that kind of
power, unlike the people who have thrown you off of mailing lists.

> If you're going to code, accept the compliments _and_ the complaints.

Heh, like I don't know how to take complaints.  You haven't seen my
inbox over the years.  Nothing's worse than a mad user who's new-fangled
USB device doesn't work on Linux and they decide to take it out on a
unsuspecting kernel developer who had nothing to do with the fact that
the manufacturer is a git.

> If you're not interested in the conversation, don't participate.

I was interested in the conversation, don't tell me not to participate.
Hey, look, you're advocating censorship!  :)

Merely pointing out the fact that open source projects do not generally
enjoy users yapping on and on about what should be done, without
actually doing any real work, was what I was trying to do.  All open
source developers I know do not like this.

Or as I like to nicely put it in email threads with these kinds of
people, "Patches gladly accepted".  Any response to that without a patch
is gladly dropped on the floor.

thanks,

greg k-h