Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 9 12:20:49 PDT 2003

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> If you can point to any specific instances where I fall outside these
> lines, please point them out to me.  This is very much part of my own
> code of conduct online.  It includes calling things as I see them,
> pointing out frauds, and occasionally showing temper.  Unwarranted
> personal attacks aren't a desired stock in trade.

1.  Concur.  Moen's First Law of Debate may explain Jeff's tu-quoque ploy
(http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1):

    "No matter what the issue, someone will try to turn it into a
    personality dispute."  In part, this is because complex issues are
    more comprehensible if you convert them into soap opera, however
    inaccurately.  Additionally, it's common for someone who's losing an
    argument to misbehave in hopes of debasing the discussion, scoring a
    tie in the eyes of casual observers, and tarring the opposition by
    association.

2.  However, when debates pass a certain point of tedium and excessive
length, observers tend to not care about the merits, and wish a virulent
plague on all houses in the vicinity, anyway.

--
Cheers,               I have /usr/sbin/coffee mounted from /dev/mug right now,
Rick Moen             and you can't have it.  Oh no, I just tried to seek past