Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Thu Oct 9 08:51:20 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:21:27PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Adam Kessel">
> > But I thought I'd give one very concrete example in response to Jesse's
> > claim that the complaints are too abstract.  Maybe no one else in the
> > world shares this issue, but I really miss the "avoid on maximize" panel
> > setting from gnome1.  No one was ever able to explain to me why this was
> > removed as "cruft" <http://shorl.com/hytidryhidrete>.
> Just to be clear - was this the setting that allowed you to have some panels
> always on top, while letting others to disappear behind windows?

This setting controlled whether or not maximized windows "bump" up
against a panel or not.  If "avoid on maximize" is on, wherever the panel
is located, nothing will maximize past it.  If "avoid on maximize" is off
for all panels, then any window which is maximized will take up the whole
screen.

"Avoid on maximize" works in conjunction with "always on top" (or
whatever the layering system used to call it)--so if you had "avoid on
maximize" off and "always on top" on, you could maximize a window, and it
would cover the whole screen, but the panel would still be on top.  I
believe the fine-grained ability to control layering is also gone,
although I could be wrong about that.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam