Justin F. Knotzke jknotzke@shampoo.ca
Thu Oct 9 07:16:56 PDT 2003

<quote who=Karsten M. Self date=[031009 06:47]/>

> > One of several smart things Havoc said is
> >
> >   If you don't know how to code, then you don't know how to design the
> >   software either. Period. You can only cause trouble.
> >                 -- Havoc Pennington, http://ometer.com/hacking.html
>
> Bogus.  Adequately discussed elsewhere.

    I'm not entirely sure it's that Bogus.

    Design is by its nature, abstract. For the most part design is very
difficult to test without actually implementing it.

	Its very difficult to prove if your design is truly going to work without
testing it. In most cases (if not all) the only way to do so is to implement
it. ie: code it.

    On the flip side it's also as equally difficult to disprove a design
theory without actually implementing it. This is why we have seen the motif of
"prove to me why its so bad" and "prove to me why its so good".

    Its difficult to do either without coding it. We can all argue, spit
venom, show examples and analogies but until you sit down and bang out the
code, its a lotta boxes on a whiteboard with little lines coming out of it.
Its a start, but that's about it.

    So, unless one is willing to spend the time to truly test a theory,
the rest is just causing trouble.

    I personally have avoided GUI coding as much as possible. Mostly because I
suck rocks at it and partly because I can't understand how GUI coders can
handle all the opinions. Because its there, in your face, with little buttons
and shiny little text boxes everyone is an expert. That is until you demand a
patch.

    Which is why I always work on the backend. Send me a stream of bytes and I
can do something with that. Just don't make me present it to the user. But I
have deep respect for those that can do it.

    J.

--
Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@shampoo.ca