[linux-elitists] DNA triage

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 9 07:00:46 PDT 2003

On 09-Oct-2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Sorry for a lamer question (and apologies to interrupt the flambe
> fete), but I'm currently trying to get my DNS (bind9) going. Do you
> use granitecanyon.com for secondary

Who is "you"?  All linux-elitists subscribers?  I'll assume an answer is
requested from me, since I received the message from this list.  Not
sure why you'd think we're all using the one company for secondary DNS
though.

> or do elitists triage for each other?

I'm not sure what "triage" could mean in this context.

    "WordNet (r) 1.7"
    triage
         n : sorting and allocating aid on the basis of need for or
             likely benefit from medical treatment or food

By the rest of the post, perhaps you mean "supply secondary DNS
service".  As it happens, I'm currently organising a group of
domain-owning hackers to perform reciprocal secondary-DNS for each
other, precisely to avoid any of us paying some hosting company for the
privilege.

Working well so far -- all that's needed is for the nameservers to have
DNS "glue" records in someone else's domain; my DNS registrar was happy
to do this for me free of charge.  From that point, we can all refer to
each other by hostname, and host our domains happily.

--
 \          "The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice |
  `\                                       within."  -- Mahatma Gandhi |