[linux-elitists] Re: gconf

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Thu Oct 9 05:34:35 PDT 2003

On  9 Oct 2003, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > One of several smart things Havoc said is
> >
> >   If you don't know how to code, then you don't know how to design the
> >   software either. Period. You can only cause trouble.
>
> Bogus.  Adequately discussed elsewhere.

You're providing a pretty good example of why most developers hold
this opinion.

> Agreed -- this is as I understand.  Which is one reason why I suggested
> dispensing with file locking entirely by ducking down a level, and
> putting version control on top of the system.  In this case:

I'm sorry, I'm out of energy to explain this to you.  Why don't you
try implementing your design and report how it works out?

> Pointers to prior discussion -- I suspect there's been some?

Come on, you can find the gconf archive as easily as I can.

> What does seem clear to me is that usage notes on how application
> developers implemnt gconf should be stated.

I'd guess this is in the GNOME Policy docs somewhere.

--
Martin