Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 9 02:48:51 PDT 2003

on Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:02:28AM +1000, Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org) wrote:

> The few packages such as TeX which people do mention as being
> "bug"-free typically have the kind of complexity and quirkiness which
> you criticize in gconf.

TeX is decidedly complex.

It's also eminently stable.  Not from a reliability standpoint (though
there's that).  But it's pretty much "complete" software -- there's no
appreciable development on it.

While this of itself may or may not be a good thing, the point remains
that GNOME is a complex system that does complex stuff, for a wide
range of users, _and_ it's changing radically at the same time.

I'll avoid using the term "recipie for disaster"[1], but this tends to
confound the problem.

Peace.

Notes:

1.  OK, so I didn't really ;-)