Jesse Hutton jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 8 18:34:53 PDT 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Adam Kessel wrote:
> But I thought I'd give one very concrete example in response to Jesse's
> claim that the complaints are too abstract.  Maybe no one else in the
> world shares this issue, but I really miss the "avoid on maximize" panel
> setting from gnome1.  No one was ever able to explain to me why this was
> removed as "cruft" <http://shorl.com/hytidryhidrete>.
>
> Why do you want to be able to change "avoid on maximize"?  Because you
> might want to have a panel that is "always on top" and doesn't prevent
> maximized windows from expanding under it. (say, a transparent clock
> panel).

At first, when starting to use Gnome2, I had a similar reaction (and
likewise I'm not informed about the decision making went into it, though
I presume it was just considered unnecessary complexity). But for better
or worse, it's something I've just gotten used to, and now it doesn't
bother me at all. I actually like having some applets visible all the
time (though I'm perhaps not convinced of the goodness of mandating this
state--a problem just doesn't affect me in this case).

Jesse