Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Oct 8 14:22:56 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:54:47PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Nick Moffitt">
>
> > begin  Jeff But don't get all fretty-pants on us. Weff  quotation:
> > > <quote who="Karsten M. Self">
> > >
> > > ... which makes you sufficiently qualified to say "you're doing it all
> > > wrong, and I know just how you should do it", just like every other
> > > random gimp who thinks they know the score.
> >
> > And of course all your *other* users are qualified to change your
> > development path, but not Karsten because he's not a coder.
>
> Most users report bugs. Karsten is saying the design is wrong, and that he
> knows exactly how it should be, and exactly how simple it is. He's welcome
> to do it.
>
> Oh, he can't?
>
> Hmm.
>
> Maybe he's just noise in the system. When you work on software as widely
> deployed as GNOME, you have to filter noise very aggressively. Non-coders
> who think they know better than experienced coders are, more often than not,
> noise.

I don't agree. Not being able to code something, doesn't mean you can't
point out flaws (real or perceived) in part of the inteface. No way in
heck could I write Emacs, but I *can* tell you wy I prefer VI to it, and
what Emacs does/requires me to do, that I don't like.

That said, the mud slinging, and name calling, is a bit disheartening.
No matter who it's coming from.

Gravity is unforgiving.