Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Oct 8 12:13:00 PDT 2003

> Did I say things were easy?  No, I specifically said coding and
> design are *not* the same thing.
> Would you care to answer my actual point
> instead of going off on a tangent?

Sure, they're not the same thing. But designing a software system without
understanding how the code should/will/can work WILL lead to pain.
Besides, we're not talking about designing or coding here, we're talking
about backseat criticism (the difference between "doing" and "whinging").

Anyway, this is a flame-charged tangent. GConf is what it is, and it is
also getting better. Naysayers can deal with it, or help out. Whinging
about it isn't going to help anyone... Same story for all Free Software.

> but the view of GNOME from the outside seems to be that you're
> trying to find "balance" by restricting things rather than making sane
> defaults and giving the user the ability to change things when needed.

I can only ask, "Why?" ... Why do you perceive it this way, and what has
led to this perception? Real examples are helpful. The fact that you
disagree with an abstract notion of our perceived goals is well understood
- let's figure out why.

- Jeff

--
  So, "Jeffrey" seems to mean "the ineffectual, victimised guy in
  American movies" in four different languages.