Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Oct 8 11:17:03 PDT 2003

> Oh come on.  So you're saying that coders are much better at design
> than everyone else?  Because this is *not* a coding issue, it's an
> issue of design.  You don't have to be a coder to know how to design
> something well.  I've known plenty of coders that couldn't design
> worth a damn and plenty of non-coders who could.

"Oh, but it's easy!" Sorry, doesn't hold up in the real world,
particularly the very noisy low-barrier-to-I-know-better-than-you-entry
Free Software world.

> So far, the more flexibility
> side is winning my vote, mainly because the arguments on the other
> side haven't held up under scrutiny.

Again, you can't split the debate into a binary "more flexibility" and
"less flexibility" argument. Approaching usability issues that way will
result in a suboptimal solution, no matter which "side" you think you're
on. The GNOME Project's approach has nothing to do with "less flexibility"
and "lowest common denominator". Think "just works" and "greatest common
factor".

Read Havoc's essay again. I'm not saying "balance" because it's an easy
way to shrug off the discussion. Balance is hard, and it doesn't involve
the kind of binary debate you're suggesting above.

- Jeff

--
  So, "Jeffrey" seems to mean "the ineffectual, victimised guy in
  American movies" in four different languages.