Tanner Lovelace lovelace@trilug.org
Wed Oct 8 10:48:46 PDT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:

> One of several smart things Havoc said is
>
>   If you don't know how to code, then you don't know how to design the
>   software either. Period. You can only cause trouble.
>                 -- Havoc Pennington, http://ometer.com/hacking.html

I'm sorry, but I must disagree here.  Havoc is completely wrong.
Designing software and actually implementing software, while they
do go hand in hand very often, don't necessarily have to.

This seems, however, to be a knee-jerk reaction from Havoc about
people "he thinks" don't contribute.  The entire quote is:

    Back-seat coders are bad. A back-seat coder seems to have an endless stream
    of brilliant ideas on the mailing lists, but either never codes or doesn't
    know how to code. If you don't know how to code, then you don't know how to
    design the software either. Period. You can only cause trouble.

Just because someone has a good idea and either doesn't have
the time to write it up or doesn't have the skill to write it up
does not make them bad.  It's up to the person receiving the idea
to intelligently figure out if the idea deserves merit and how
best to run with it.  Sure, a lot of times an idea will be crap.
Most ideas out there are crap.  But just completely discounting
them beforehand is not the way to go.

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace |  lovelace(at)trilug.org  | http://www.trilug.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989