Tanner Lovelace lovelace@trilug.org
Wed Oct 8 10:14:16 PDT 2003

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Most users report bugs. Karsten is saying the design is wrong, and that he
> knows exactly how it should be, and exactly how simple it is. He's welcome
> to do it.
>
> Oh, he can't?
>
> Hmm.
>
> Maybe he's just noise in the system. When you work on software as widely
> deployed as GNOME, you have to filter noise very aggressively. Non-coders
> who think they know better than experienced coders are, more often than not,
> noise.

Oh come on.  So you're saying that coders are much better at design
than everyone else?  Because this is *not* a coding issue, it's an
issue of design.  You don't have to be a coder to know how to design
something well.  I've known plenty of coders that couldn't design
worth a damn and plenty of non-coders who could.

In watching this discussion from the sidelines as a user that doesn't
use GNOME (or hardly any GNOME applications since I moved away from
Evolution, but that's another story), it seems to me that the people
wanting more flexiblity seem to be bringing up valid points that
the people on the other side are not addressing at all.  Instead,
they seem to be a) saying they know best, b) saying if you want something
different, write it yourself, or c) making personal attacks (although
this isn't limited to either side).  So far, the more flexibility
side is winning my vote, mainly because the arguments on the other
side haven't held up under scrutiny.

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace |  lovelace(at)trilug.org  | http://www.trilug.org/