Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Oct 7 19:08:56 PDT 2003

On  8 Oct 2003, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>     http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/list
>     885 projects listed

Heh, and 70,000 projects on sourceforge. :-)

> Secondly, a constant gripe with both GNOME and KDE is that I can't
> consistently change, e.g.:  an application's font settings FROM WITHIN
> THAT APPLICATION.   Example:  changing Gabber's default chat window
> fonts.  No controls.  I suppose that's buried somewhere in a global
> GNOME configuration....  Konqueror is similarly infuriating (I realize
> Konq isn't a GNOME app, I'm simply indicating that the brain damage
> isn't GNOME specific).

Nor can you change your screen resolution or network routing tables
from within Gabber, although they both affect it equally much.  Damn.

Probably something should be done to make settings like this more
easily visible when you're using a single application in isolation
from the whole gnome ensemble.

> > Are you really saying that it is not acceptable for gui applications
> > to have graphical configuration, only window managers?  That seems a
> > bit wierd.
>
> For fucks sake, Martin:
>
>     PREFERENCES SHOULD BE ***FLEXIBLE***.  THIS MEANS OFFERING THE
>     ***OPTION*** FOR ***BOTH*** GUI ***AND*** EDITOR BASED CHANGES TO
>     CONFIGURATIONS.

Chill out, hey?

You said that a graphical configurator "is acceptable for the
_specific_ case of window managers" (your emphasis).  That implies
it's not acceptable to you for a paint program or graphical web
browser to have a graphical configurator.  You're welcome to feel that
way but to me it seems a bit inconsistent and I'm not surprised you're
having trouble persuading people.

As I've explained several times it's completely possible to change
gconf settings through non-gui means.  Continuing to angrily demand
something that's already possible makes you look, um, very angry.

--
Martin