Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Oct 6 22:00:21 PDT 2003

begin  Martin Pool  quotation:
> You did mention that, but you also suggested polling mtimes to detect
> changes:

	Okay, you're right.  I guess I just don't give a shit about
applications finding their configs except at start time or SIGHUP (or
equivalent user action).

	The system I've been working with most recently that does
something vaguely gconfish is sawfish.  It has a file,
~/.sawfish/custom:

    ;; sawfish user customization -- do not edit by hand!
    ;; sawfish version 1.3, written Mon Oct  6 21:50:10 2003
    [...]

In here goes all the state that gets saved in ugly raw-parse-tree
form, like all good underlying sexp daturbases like XML and LISP want.
Do not edit by hand!

Of course, then I have ~/.sawfishrc:

    (require 'xmms.command)
    (require 'xmms.remote)
    (require 'sawfish.wm.commands.xterm)
    ; See .Xdefaults for the other settings to aterm/xterm.  This awk
    ; stuff just randomly choses a non-numbered "Dark" color for the
    ; tinting, overriding the default of DarkGreen
    [... long setq for a goofy backticked awk string ...]

This just has one command after another, a few handy defines, and
basic startup configuration.  I actually learned how to write this by
trolling .sawfish/custom and finding the symbols wot needed binding,
and generally mucked with it that way.

So now I have a .sawfishrc that I just cvs checkout into my homedir
whenever I hit a new box, and life is good.

So I personally don't care about gconf and the problems it tries to
solve, but it can coexist peacefully with rc-style configuration as we
see with sawfish.  So fine, make it repairable but not really
editable.  I just hope I won't have to give a shit.

--
Support your droogs!

end