Configuration vs. Engineering (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: Yet another mozilla atrocity)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Oct 6 21:05:12 PDT 2003

<quote who="Tom Duffy">

> In this case, it is pretty clear-cut which one to eliminate.  But, this is
> hardly the norm.  Most boolean configuration options are not algorithm
> choices, but cases where there is a legitimate dispute between two
> engineers/users about how to do something.

But is it behavioural, or preferential? If it's preferential, then sure, you
can choose red or blue. If it's behavioural, then often enough there can be
a 'correct choice' (part of the decision to have a 'correct choice' might be
avoiding the costs associated with providing both).

Users have to make all kinds of choices when using computers. Many of them
are their own personal choices, related to what they want to achieve. Aiming
to reduce artificial choices imposed by the computer (because it, or the
person who designed it, is too stupid to Do The Right Thing) is a pretty
worthy goal.

- Jeff

   "We are peaking sexually when they are peaking. And two peaks makes a
                        hell of a good mount." - SMH