Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Oct 6 21:20:49 PDT 2003

begin  Martin Pool  quotation:
> How does the application know when to reload the changes?  Nick
> suggested that it should poll the configuration files, which is
> typical of the "oh it's so easy" response from people who haven't
> really thought through the problem.  To make it not too laggy, you'd
> need to poll at least every couple of seconds.  Is having every
> application poll the disk every second really so elegant?  (Heaven
> help anyone with home on NFS).  And of course you still have race
> conditions, since you can't rely on locking.

	I brought it up in response to storing timestamps for each
configuration tag.  Whether you store it in the file's text or in the
mtime/ctime of the config file was the real issue at hand.  I'm still
not convinced that the extra non-human-readable data is useful.  Go
on, rant some more Martin.

--
Support your droogs!

end