Configuration vs. Engineering (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: Yet another mozilla atrocity)

Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 6 20:48:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:09, Mister Bad wrote:
> Administrators and users don't really need to choose
> between an O(N^2) and O(NlogN) algorithm. The better choice should be
> made at engineering time, and the code for the less desirable choice
> should be eliminated altogether.

In this case, it is pretty clear-cut which one to eliminate.  But, this
is hardly the norm.  Most boolean configuration options are not
algorithm choices, but cases where there is a legitimate dispute between
two engineers/users about how to do something.

-tduffy

--
"If we have to use force, it is because we are America!  We are the
indispensable nation!  We stand tall and see further into the future."
         -- Madeleine Albright on NBC's Today Show, Feb 19, 1998