Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 6 07:46:13 PDT 2003

on Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:44:29PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:

> We don't make all cars for chaffeurs and race drivers,

I'm going to take a wild-ass guess and suppose that your car seat has
adjustments.  Forward-back and tilt at a minimum.  Again:  it's about
fitting your tools to your needs.  But you clearly don't get that.

> That is not to say that we are dumbing computers down, as much as
> Karsten is at pains to point out. Most lawyers and doctors I know are
> exceptionally intelligent, and don't give a RAT'S BLEEDING ARSE if
> they can edit their configuration files in vim.

They may be very grateful at some point, however, that you are able to.
Via a remote SSH session.  From your mobile/PDA, from well out in the
bush.

You're clearly not getting it Jeff, so this isn't for your benefit.  For
the intelligent readers here, however:  it's about minimizing
complexity, maximizing flexibility, and creating systems which can be
recovered or repaired with a minimally specified toolset, without
imposing a high level of constraints and requirements on the system.

Peace.

    Reject EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/