Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Mon Oct 6 06:04:59 PDT 2003

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

> We don't make all cars for chaffeurs and race drivers, and thus, we
> should not make all computers for programmers and systems
> administrators.

While it's good to have software with reasonable default behaviour, if
you never expose users to software that allows them to become more
productive by customising their environment, then they'll be less
likely to realise that they're able to do so, and they'll have to
invest even more time in learning the new environment if they do
decide to switch.

It's also going to be harder to persuade unpaid developers to
contribute their time towards developing software that they can't or
don't want to use.

(I'm guessing that these two worries have probably been discussed to
death elsewhere already, but they're at least worth a mention here.)

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>