Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Oct 6 02:44:29 PDT 2003

<quote who="Michael Herman">

> Every person has a different work style and one of the beautiful things
> about *NIX is the ability to completely customize your environment to fit
> your style.

Most people don't care. They just want to get work done. You do, but then,
you're a very particular kind of person. The fact that you are on this list
automatically puts you in a very small category of highly interested and
proficient users.

We don't make all cars for chaffeurs and race drivers, and thus, we should
not make all computers for programmers and systems administrators. Why would
we? It would severely limit our contribution to the real world, and render
us hopelessly irrelevant.

That is not to say that we are dumbing computers down, as much as Karsten is
at pains to point out. Most lawyers and doctors I know are exceptionally
intelligent, and don't give a RAT'S BLEEDING ARSE if they can edit their
configuration files in vim.

- Jeff

   "Instead you're doing circle jerks with the Care Bears of Censorship."
                            - Siduri on Slashdot