Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Sun Oct 5 09:14:29 PDT 2003

Jason Spence <jspence@lightconsulting.com> writes:

> It's
> the INTERCAL philosophy of interface design gone stark raving mad:
> "The interface designed to be freedesktop-compatible but as
> fundamentally unlike any existing desktop as possible.  Backgrounds
> that look like line noise.  Fonts that will make you gasp, make you
> laugh, and possibly make you hurl.  Window borders? We don't need no
> steenking window borders!"

I guess I resemble that remark.  Black background, grey80 for xterm &
emacs, with black text.  ISO10646 font, chosen carefully to be easy on
the eyes.  No window decorations except for 5 pixels at the top.
Dvorak layout with hand-tweaked modifier keys.  Carefully chosen
keybindings virtually eliminating mouse use.

All of the above said, I think I agree with your main point: don't go
changing your interface until you're sure you know what you're doing.
There are two sides to HCI, and both the human & the computer need to
adapt to the other.  Vi has a wonderful interface, but if I hadn't
been willing to learn it I would never have known it.

> Personally, I just figure out how to live with the defaults.

But this is just silly.  Why do you feel you have to live with the
defaults?  Well designed software will allow you to change the
defaults easily and consistently.  It wont force you to "automate the
process of setting [...] options to more productive settings."  The
fact that you accept this as a reasonable way to cope with bad
software is mind boggling.

Be empowered!  Realize that *you* know best how to get your work done
-- not the developer.  You don't accept factory defaults on your
office chair -- why should you with your software?

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>