[linux-elitists] List archives

Tom Hargreaves hex@freezone.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 19:20:02 PDT 2003

Is there a simple procedure for obtaining the URL of the archived copy
of a specific list message?  My current method: locate archive site
from "List-Archive" header, choose one of the "View by" options for
the month in question, and repeatedly guess at which of the links
corresponds to the message I want.

This is clearly suboptimal. There's no obvious correspondence between
URL and message (e.g. generating URLs by Message-ID munging, or
including the URL in the message itself). There's no way to search by
Message-ID. Sorting by date would be an obvious way to reduce or
eliminate the guesswork for my current method, except that the date
isn't shown on individual message links (not even on the "view by
date" page!). And thread structure appears to be truncated after 3
references, which is a pain.

Am I missing something obvious, or is pipermail clearly broken in this
respect?

Tom. (wondering if delurking with a rant was a good idea...)