Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 4 04:37:20 PDT 2003

on Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:58:37AM -0700, Jason Spence (jspence@lightconsulting.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:09:26AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:19:50PM +1000, Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org) wrote:
> > > On  2 Oct 2003, Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> wrote:
> > >
> >   - In Evolution 1.0.5, the "Summary Page" has a "My Weather" feature.
> >
> >     First gripe:  I hate the "My Foo" school of attribute naming.  It's
> >     either "Weather", or "System name" (my computer has a name, damnit).
> >     "My Foo" is patronising to the extreme.
>
> I feel obligated to point out that this is how the ordinary users of
> the world talked about different applications and such long before we
> ever started seeing the "My Foo" names pop up everywhere.
>
> Example:
>
> User: "My computer is broken."

Look, let's try to get this accross as succinctly as possible.

When I'm making love to a woman, what I want to hear isn't "My Name",
but *my* *name*.  And I certainly don't want some outfit tattoing "My
Lover" across my forhead for her.

You see the distinction?

   LNX-BBC:  Bootable GNU/Linux -- Don't leave /home without it.
     http://www.lnx-bbc.org/