Sat Oct 4 01:58:37 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:09:26AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:19:50PM +1000, Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org) wrote:
> > On  2 Oct 2003, Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> wrote:
> >
>   - In Evolution 1.0.5, the "Summary Page" has a "My Weather" feature.
>
>     First gripe:  I hate the "My Foo" school of attribute naming.  It's
>     either "Weather", or "System name" (my computer has a name, damnit).
>     "My Foo" is patronising to the extreme.

I feel obligated to point out that this is how the ordinary users of
the world talked about different applications and such long before we
ever started seeing the "My Foo" names pop up everywhere.

Example:

User: "My computer is broken."

Me: "What happened?"

User: "When I try to open my {AOL,documents,word,emacs,porno stash} it does
so-and-so."

etc.  I've also seen and heard "the", too.  E.g. "the Internet", "the
email", "the AOL", "the porno stash".

And of course they're in the majority, so I'll bet that's why *we* see
it :)

--
 - Jason                            Currently at: Somewhere on the Internet ()

Blood flows down one leg and up the other.