Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Oct 3 07:38:05 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jonathan Corbet">

> I used to defend work on "friendly desktops" because, as we all know,
> there's a Linux system hiding underneath and those of us who don't want to
> deal with all that crap can just route around it. It's getting
> increasingly hard to route around, though.

What do you define as "all that crap", though?

GNOME and KDE have fundamentally different approaches to desktop usability,
and I would argue that GNOME doesn't have much crap to wade through.

'Traditional' *nix users may or may not enjoy that approach, but they aren't
a primary audience for a project like GNOME (and rightly so, from both
perspectives).

- Jeff

    Snow Crash was a terrible book: Superheroes wear their underpants on
           the outside, not for two weeks without changing them.