Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Fri Oct 3 07:24:18 PDT 2003

> > Furthermore, where in my home directory am I expected to make a local
> > copy of this mess?
>
> Why do you want to do that?

Maybe not the whole mess, but the question of "how do I copy my setup to my
new laptop, to the kids' machine upstairs, and onto that other box in the
office that I use sometimes?"  is a real one.  Going through a whole GUI
configuration mess to get rational window manager behavior etc. loses its
appeal after about the third system.  And we haven't gotten to issues like
bookmark files, which can't be reconstructed that way, and which do not
appear to be anywhere near as portable as one would expect.

I used to defend work on "friendly desktops" because, as we all know,
there's a Linux system hiding underneath and those of us who don't want to
deal with all that crap can just route around it.  It's getting
increasingly hard to route around, though.  There must be a way to
reconcile the "make it all point-n-grunt" and the "let me get in and
quickly make it work the way *I* want" design goals.  I don't think we've
really found it yet.

jon