Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Oct 3 07:22:19 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> So you think editing text files to configure software is "strange and
> unfortunate."  Gotcha.  Though I rather surmised that from your previous
> post.

No way, dude. mutt'n'vim all the way. I care about my fetchmail, procmail,
lbdb, spamassassin, offlineimap, mutt and vim config files. They matter to
me. And yet, my web browser, file manager and panel configuration files are
fundamentally irrelevant to me. I just don't have to care. The fact that as
a user I get FULLY SWEET change notification across my desktop, and as a
system administrator I can handle custom default and mandatory settings,
(with per-user and per-group setups coming soon) just makes it better, and
even more ignorable for my users.

You've got this whole zero sum, CLI vs. GUI thing going on, and it's
clouding your judgement. There are far, far worse things going on in the
land of Free Software Desktop systems than "ooh-ooh, they're using something
that vaguely looks like the registry from 40000ft!"

But don't get all fretty-pants on us.

- Jeff

  "I allege that SCO is full of it, and that the Linux process is already
   the most transparent process in the whole industry." - Linus Torvalds