Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 3 00:57:46 PDT 2003

Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org):

> Well, now you know: gconftool is the designated tool for doing that.

Oh, great.  "Designated."  How gracious.

guido:~# gconftool [tab]
gconftool    gconftool-1  gconftool-2
guido:~# gconftool
[nothing happens]
guido:~# gconftool-2
[nothing happens]
guido:~# man gconftool
No manual entry for gconftool
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
guido:~# man gconftool-1
No manual entry for gconftool-1
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
guido:~# man gconftool-2
No manual entry for gconftool-2
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
guido:~#

> You're welcome to do it the other way, but it might not be as easy.
> However complaining that something is hard when you've ignored the
> easy way is a bit silly.

Let us count the problems, here:

1.  I specifically said I was quoting a post I made a related
discussion elsewhere, in response to a claim that GConf is a fine way to
store application settings and is friendly towards Unix traditionalists'
way of managing such things.  That was the nature and context of my
comment -- to refute that claim.  In essence, I was being told --
erroneously -- that my regular way of dealing with applications would
work essentially unchanged.  I was illustrating, though the way that
approach gets foiled by opaque configuration, that the claim is bogus.

Since you apparently failed to notice that basic context for my post
(even though it was right at the top), practically the entire rest of
your reply was non-sequitur.

2.  I did not "complain it was hard".  Perhaps you're confusing my post
with some one else's.

3.  gconftool doesn't appear to work too bloody well on at least one
system attempted as a data point -- nor have a manpage.

4.  Saying that configuring Gnumeric, galeon, and Abiword defaults in
the natural fashion that suggests itself to Unix users "might not be as
easy" appears to be something of an understatement.  Irrespective of its
format, the conffile -- or herd of conffiles -- for each of those three
applications strikes me as extremely difficult to even find, let alone
configure.

> You may not like XML, but at least it's consistent.

Please note that I didn't say anything about "not liking XML".
Moreover, the snippet you quoted nowhere even remotely suggested that.
Again, you appear to be responding to someone else's post.

> OK, you'd like one big file rather than a directory of smaller files.

Please note that I nowhere so stated.  Again, you appear to be
responding to someone else's post.

> > Furthermore, where in my home directory am I expected to make a local
> > copy of this mess?
>
> Why do you want to do that?

For the same reason I would want a ~/.vimrc .   Surely you understand
the concept of per-user application configuration files.

> > But is that where I store my local Gnumeric preferences? I have no
> > clue.
>
> What preferences do you want to set that can't be set through the GUI?

I have a better question:  Why are you asking an irrelevant question in
non-response to _my_ question, distracting attention from it?

> > Am I supposed to "cp -a" that entire
> > /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnumeric tree to somewhere in my home
> > directory?
>
> No.  What makes you think you need to?

Desire, not need.  Desire to have and edit local per-user application
settings, as opposed to system-wide.  You know, multi-user?

> Just relax.

Relaxation makes me anxious, and puts too much blood in my caffeine system.

> GNOME is trying to progress beyond Unix's traditional
> guess-edit-restart-repeat in a way that is more friendly to both
> experts and novices.

I don't give a tinker's damn about GNOME:  I was asking about Galeon,
gnumeric, and Abiword.  If other people including developers want to
have software religions, I will not interfere with their devotions, but
I'm just interested in those three applications.

But this thing you're talking about appears on the evidence of your post
to be failing at its goal.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window