[linux-elitists] Re: gconf brain death

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Thu Oct 2 12:52:06 PDT 2003

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Other WMs either accept changes interactively, can be signalled to
> re-read their configuration files/settings, and/or offer an option
> to restart the window manager (e.g.: WindowMaker) without
> terminating the X11 session.

All window managers provide the last option if you run something other
than your window manager as the session holder. There are a number of
little programs that are designed specifically for this job
("terminator", for instance); alternately, "xterm -iconic -title
holder -e cat" works fine. (This is an especially handy trick if
you're doing window manager development.)

I've never really felt that having to restart a window manager from
scratch for a new configuration is really an issue, given that you
don't usually lose any state by doing so. I'd rather have a simple
window manager that just exec()s itself to restart than a more complex
one that didn't offer me anything extra from the deal.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>