gconf brain death (was Re: [linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 2 11:37:03 PDT 2003

on Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:04:03AM +0100, sherringham (alastair@calliope.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:56:11AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> >
> > In almost all cases, the resources only take effect when the program
> > is started.  To try out a new setting, you need to exit the program
> > and restart it.  In some cases you might need to exit X and log in
> > again.  Not very friendly, is it?  The similarity to "Would you like
> > to restart your computer now?" is painful.

> Not refuting your point about user-friendliness (lack of), but "xrdb"
> was designed to set X resources dynamically.

This moots Martin's distortion of having to restart X for resources to
be modified.  His point about X clients having to be restarted to
utilize new settings is valid.

The only time an X11 server restart is required is when changing
resources or settings associated with a specific window manager.  Off
the top of my head, I can't think of any which require use of X
resources.  Other WMs either accept changes interactively, can be
signalled to re-read their configuration files/settings, and/or offer an
option to restart the window manager (e.g.:  WindowMaker) without
terminating the X11 session.  Th eonly two reasonably widely used
examples I can think of which don't provide one or more of thse options
are twm and fvwm*.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/