Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 07:31:18 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 09:12, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> b) Each application, should it require 'preferences', provides an
> appropriate interface to the most useful options. You may enjoy editing text
> files, but it's a strange and unfortunate leap between your music library
> and player software and, say, vi. Why would that be a preferable solution?
> Context matters more; do it in the app.

"Do it in the app" is almost a mantra for MS and their proprietary apps.
Isolating the setup to makes it difficult for others to add/simplify the
process.  By its nature, this type of thinking is exclusionary.

> c) Why do you care about the configuration process? Why are you doing it so
> often that it matters this much? Don't you have better things to do?

Making things easily accessible adds sanity and interoperability to Open
Source projects. How often you do it is not as relevant as how easy it
is to work/link with other Open Source projects.

Each piece of the OS puzzle that is built in isolation adds a notch of
complexity. Complexity kills productivity.

...Please ignore my rantings and carry on with your normal lives - Jon
Carnes