Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Oct 2 06:12:00 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> obgconf: I avoid using gnome (or kde) apps whenever possible, and
> gconf is one of the reasons.  I hate GUI configuration interfaces

a) Interacting with GConf directly via gconftool or gconf-editor is not a
common case to optimise for. It is mainly used by and designed for admins,
advanced users, and people who don't have better things to do with their
time.

b) Each application, should it require 'preferences', provides an
appropriate interface to the most useful options. You may enjoy editing text
files, but it's a strange and unfortunate leap between your music library
and player software and, say, vi. Why would that be a preferable solution?
Context matters more; do it in the app.

c) Why do you care about the configuration process? Why are you doing it so
often that it matters this much? Don't you have better things to do?

- Jeff

             "jwz? no way man, he's my idle" - James Wilkinson