gconf brain death (was Re: [linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 1 02:36:20 PDT 2003

on Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:53:05AM +1000, Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org) wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2003, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Best I can tell, gconf is largely bug-for-bug compatible on all
> > points, though I admit my aquaintance with it is quite casual.
>
> I earnestly hope this spawns a GconfTroll on Slashdot.  The
> combination of just enough truth to make it plausible, self-righteous
> ignorance, and criticism of any passing similarity to Windows would be
> right at home.

Consider:

  - I'm hardly a naive user.  I don't follow GNOME closely.  I don't,
    for the most part, use it.  I run a WindowMaker desktop, and a
    couple of applications are, possibly, GNOME related (I don't know, I
    don't care).  Galeon, Gabber, Pan.  Possibly Gnumeric and Abiword.
    For the most part, the GNOME overhead gets in my way.  I'm equal
    opportunity:  I don't particularly care for KDE either.

  - I've been on and around legacy MS Windows systems for a long time.
    I've watched what the Registry started as.  Though I tossed out my
    copy of _The Microsoft Windows NT Resource Kit_ a couple of years
    ago in a move, I seem to recall the comment that you'd never have to
    edit the registry directly.  From O'Reilly's _Windows NT In A
    Nutshell_:

        [The Registry] replaces the AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, and
        WIN.INI files...For the most part, you will no longer be able to
        edit system configuration files with text editors.

        WNTiaN, page 2

> > Is anyone familiar with a curses or command-line gconf editor?
>
> $ gconf TAB TAB DING
>
> Huh, 'gconftool'.  Who would of thought of looking there?

And what's your basis for assuming I hadn't looked?

    [karsten@superego:karsten]$ apt-cache search gconf ; echo; apropos gconf
    libapache-dbilogconfig-perl - Apache::DBILogConfig: Logs access information in a DBI database
    drivel - A LiveJournal client for the GNOME desktop
    gconf - GNOME configuration database system. (daemon and tools)
    gconf-editor - An editor for the GConf configuration system.
    gconf2 - GNOME configuration database system. (daemon and tools, for GNOME2)
    libgconf-dev - GNOME configuration database system development files.
    libgconf11 - GNOME configuration database system libraries
    libgconf2-4 - GNOME configuration database system libraries (for GNOME2)
    libgconf2-dev - GNOME configuration database system development files. (for GNOME2)
    lpkg - Newton MessagePad PDA Package Loader
    gstreamer-gconf - GConf support for GStreamer
    libgconfmm2.0-1c102 - C++ wrappers for GConf2 (shared library)
    libgconfmm2.0-dev - C++ wrappers for GConf2 (development files)
    libinti-gconf-dev - GConf bindings for Inti - development files
    libinti-gconf-doc - GConf bindings for Inti - documentation
    libinti-gconf1.0 - GConf bindings for Inti - shared libraries

    gconf-editor (1)     - No manpage for this program, utility or function.
    gconfd-1 (1)         - No manpage for this program, utility or function.
    gconfigger (1)       - Tool to change/read GNOME configuration entry.
    gconftool (1)        - No manpage for this program, utility or function.
    gconftool-1 (1)      - No manpage for this program, utility or function.

Note GNOME's blatent disrespect of following the 30 year-old standard of
providing manpages for packages.

Before you try to tell me about info:

    [karsten@superego:karsten]$ info --apropos gconf
    info: No available info files have "gconf" in their indices.

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/InfoVsManpage

>   $ gconftool-2 -R /apps/metacity
>   $ gconftool-2 -g /apps/metacity/general/visual_bell_type
>
> etc.
>
> One way in which gconf is superior to traditional dotfiles is that
> change notifications are broadcast, rather than relying on restarting
> the program or the user reloading their configuration.

This is a program/application issue, not a fundamental advantage of one
system over the other.  gconf may be able to utilize sockets rather than
watching files, but the fundamental problem isn't insurmountable.

> For example:
>
>   $ gconftool --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/theme Crux
>
> Writing an emacs mode to edit the gconf database by calling gconftool
> is a 2-star exercise for the reader.
>
> More information, linked from the first google hit for "gconf":
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/feature/archive/gconf/gconf.html

And this helps me on my offline, partially configured, but fully capable
of serving up manpages system how?

Peace.

    "Nothing at all," intoned Marvin dismally, "not an electronic sausage."
    -- HHGTG