[linux-elitists] sarge

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Sat Nov 29 14:12:45 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:11:14PM -0500, Mister Bad wrote:

>     MO> Hey all, I heard a rumor on #debian that soon -- possibly in
>     MO> December -- the sarge branch of debian would become the new
>     MO> stable branch.
>
>     MO>     Anybody here know more about this? What dealbreakers are
>     MO> holding sarge back from "stable" status?
>
> Apparently there are troubles with the robotfindskitten package that
> might hold the release up until 2005.

Build failures on the Amiga 1000 Sapphire-030 target are no laughing
matter, Mr. Bad.

After the recent compromise of several Debian servers, be surprised if
the security mop up doesn't put a dent in the schedule. At the very
least, the developer shell machines are still unavailable to most
everyone. This seems to have slowed package submissions quite a bit.

There's also been quite a bit of discussion in the development list
about tightening up security. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll hold
out long enough for someone to get deb signing and checking into this
release.