[linux-elitists] Re: Fun with Red Hat (fwd from Eirikur@polymathy.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Nov 27 03:28:54 PST 2003

----- Forwarded message from Eirikur Hallgrimsson <Eirikur@polymathy.org> -----

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson <Eirikur@polymathy.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:34:11 -0500
To: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: Fun with Red Hat

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 18:19, Dr. Robert J. Harley wrote:
> Anyone planning on going to Red Hat's funeral?

They are starting to remind me of my experiences at Digital.   I was not
impressed by the management presentations at the Desktop Linux conference.
Unfortunately I missed the presentations by Havoc Pennington and their
other tech people.

Oh, I give them another five years on their own.    When they are really on
the ropes, IBM or some other big iron vendor will take a significant stake
and revive them.     I say this assuming that Novell keeps going in the
direction they are going and IBM may therefore need to move against Novell
Linux hegemony in order to keep their software margins down.

Today's Slashdot has a link to articles talking about Red Hat's astonishing
90%?) renewal rate on those contracts.    Locally, I know that
FlightLookup.com is feeling really pinched and intending to move off Red
Hat, especially now that Red Hat is dropping support for the version that
they have widely deployed.   Debian is the leading candidate for them.

Eirikur