[linux-elitists] Bizarre press release of the day

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Fri Nov 21 11:32:18 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:23:08AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> There are many different conclusions that could be drawn from this
> analogy, but the relevant one here is that it's not clear whether
> legal conclusions about the GPL should have much relationship to legal
> conclusions about proprietary software licenses.

Certainly. It would depend entirely on the court's reasoning in refusing
to enforce the GPL. Ceilings and floors (and "default law" concepts
generally) are all relative to whose point of view you adopt. The law
might provide a certain amount of protection for artists and prohibit
contracting away those protections (e.g., I believe moral rights under
the European system are inalienable) or it might provide a certain set of
rights to the public which cannot be limited by contract (e.g., fair
use).

I don't think Wolf, Greenfield is off in outer space, in any case, in
their press release.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam