[linux-elitists] (forw) PUBSW: Red Hat 9 *not* supported

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sat Nov 15 13:52:53 PST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:40:48PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Please be aware that pubsw software is not supported on Red Hat 9
> (including the most current versions of SULinux).  Much of it may work,
> but much of it definitely does not work (particularly but not limited to
> any software built against X libraries), and we do not yet have an
> estimated date for when we will be able to support Red Hat 9.

This is so funny for me, because google has a pubsw since the first linux
admin came from stanford.

When I rolled out RH 9 for the workstations, I mostly obsoleted
pubsw which is in my opinion largely a "we're not smart enough to
push/install/upgrade software on your machines" as least within a company
where you control the desktops, and the google RH9 release notes contain
"you must not have /usr/pubsw/bin anywhere but at the end of your PATH (if
at all))"

The pubsw thing is flawed. Like it or not, but it should have sub
directories for architectures and C libraries so that each linux distro can
mount the one they need.
Most bin stuff would be symlinks to the same binaries, but some would be
more up to date/recompiled for glibc 2.2/2.3 and assorted libs

The other bad thing about pubsw is that it contains a mix of binaries and
scripts (shell/python/perl), effectively mixing binaries and text, and those
binaries call /usr/pubsw/bin/perl|python, which then uses shared libraries
that don't work on your system since they're 4-5 years old
This is where #!env perl|python actually makes sense IMO

Marc