[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 11 19:14:14 PST 2003

Quoting Adam Kessel (adam@bostoncoop.net):

> First, I totally agree with all the pro-plain text comments thus far.
> There are cases where PDF or HTML is appropriate, but this isn't one of
> them.

I note and approve your constructive approach.  _Not_ referring to you:
I'll note again that this discussion has been largely a waste of time.
Your efforts to introduce some substance are appreciated.

> Computer formats are *very* relevant, cf
> <http://www.uscourts.gov/cmecf/cmecf_faqs.html>:

For filings.  For on-line research (which is what I spoke of), that's
less clear.

> It's common practice to introduce copies of documents and ask someone in
> a position to authenticate the document whether it appears to be
> identical to the original.

I'll note in passing that this is basically a file-format-neutral argument.

> In fact, the legal profession solved this precise problem long ago.  You
> do need to cite to precise "page" numbers, but the page numbers have
> nothing to do with the actual pages.  Both Lexis and Westlaw track
> several different page numbering systems within a single document; each
> numbering system is tracked with a certain number of asterisks, depending
> on which system you want or need to cite too.

That's what I vaguely recalled, but not well enough to describe it,
earlier.  Thanks for taking the trouble.

--
Cheers,                     "All power is delightful, but absolute power
Rick Moen                    is absolutely delightful."  - Kenneth Tynan