Presentation vs. Preparation (was: Re: [linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 11 16:30:13 PST 2003

on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:38:33AM -0600, Tilghman Lesher (zgp-org@the-tilghman.com) wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2003 07:42, Ben Finney wrote:
> > On 10-Nov-2003, Michael Still wrote:
> > > PDF fills a demand.
> >
> > A demand for compression?  That's the only advantage you've offered
> > so far.  It's been explained how plain text is at least equal, and
> > generally superior, to PDF in this respect.

> Also, it's worth noting that the PDF format is far more platform
> independent than the format it is generally used to replace, Microsoft
> Word.  Given the choice between the two, I'm sure most elitists would
> pick TeX.  However, like Microsoft Word, there is a serious lack of free
> TeX readers on most platforms.

TeX (or LaTeX or DocBook) aren't document presentation formats.  They're
document preparation formats.  One publishes the document to an output
format.  PS, PDF (if you must), HTML, or plain text among them.

Peace.

   The Amazon "one-click" patent boycott -- yes, it continues:
     http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/amazon.html#whyContinue