[linux-elitists] Mutt install 101

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Tue Nov 11 15:45:28 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> begin  Michael Still  quotation:
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Ben Finney wrote:
> >
> > > (Michael, please respect my Mail-Followup-To header.  I'm
> > > subscribed to the list.)
> >
> > No problemo. I don't read the full headers before replying, and it
> > would appear my MUA doesn't respect your header.
>
> That's because your MUA is a proprietary pile of crap:

I'm happy for you to have your own opinion. Then again, pine has served me
well for close to a decade, so I don't feel the need to change mailer
every week just for changes sake.

Let's assume you've convinced me to upgrade for just a moment...

[snip]

> 	Anyway, good luck on the upgrade path.  If you'd like to see
> my system's /etc/Muttrc, that includes some other great features you
> may find helps your mutt experience.

I would love too. I also like your script, because it saves me having to
learn new key bindings. Some of the comments are a little gratitious
though.

Anyways, as the person who has convinced me to change, I guess you
volunteer to answer my upgrade questions. Here we go:

 - it's my recollection that mutt uses maildir. Am I confused?
 - if I'm not confused, what config changes do I make to sendmail to get
the mail delivered to directories instead of mboxes? Is it better just to
do some procmail hacking here?
 - how do I convert my existing several gigabyte mail collection from
mboxes to maildirs?
 - how do maildirs scale (in the sense that at the moment I archive an
mbox when it gets bigger than 5 megabytes, because pine just gets too slow
at determining if there is new mail when I hit tab)? Do I need to archive
old mailfiles regularly?
 - can you recommend an IMAP server which will transparently deal with
maildirs?

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,