[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Tue Nov 11 06:59:09 PST 2003

> To refresh your memory on the original context:  There was a hyperlink
> to the FHS 2.3 draft standards document.  At that time, it was offered
> in PDF format only.  Subsequent to this discussion's beginning, and
> after the matter was brought to his attention, Chris Yeoh kindly posted
> HTML and ASCII versions alongside it.

Ah.  I did not read back quite far enough then, as I'd stopped when I saw
that people were discussing the FHS.  My apologies, and for the record I
agree that for something like the FHS draft, PDF seems to be a poor choice,
and a piss-poor _sole_ choice.

> In any event, we _were_ talking about Internet documents, and either you
> or some dastardly person masquerading as you posted:

> > I've never seen any browser render the same document the same way in a
> > cross-platform environment.

Yes, because I was following your thought that there were better
alternatives than PDF for displaying documents.  Consider it a tangent of
the original tangent.

Regards,
Andrew