[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Bill Bogstad bogstad@pobox.com
Tue Nov 11 03:47:02 PST 2003

Rick Moen wrote:
>Quoting Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com):
>
>> Ignoring the specific example in this case, because we seem to have moved
>> on from there, I can't think of a better format for documents which care a
>> lot about representation of the information (for example legal documents).
>
>The above is strategically vague.
>
>o  A court's opinion consists of the words thereof.  For pretty much any
>   purpose within reason, it could be in ASCII or any superset thereof.

IANAL but...

It's my impression that once cases are decided and become the subject of
precedent, the formatting of the decision matters a lot.  When citing
previous cases, you have to give precise location information which is
often dependent on the rendering of the text as published by commercial
enterprises which have cornered the market for the business of
publishing said decisions for use by other lawyers.  Some investigation
on my part indicates that this is starting to change, but precise volume
and page information could still be critical to members of the legal
profession.

Bill Bogstad
bogstad@pobox.com