[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 11 02:58:41 PST 2003

Quoting Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com):

> I was more responding to Rick's
> PDF-sucks-and-all-graphic-designers-should-die general gyst that this
> specific instance. I apologise for not making that clearer. My point was
> that there is a time and a place for PDF files.

But I already said that.  You appear determined to knock down straw men.
I have no objection, but kindly leave my name out.

> I didn't realised this had morphed into a general discussion of the PDF
> format. I was countering a specific point from Rick.

Badly.  Real-world PDFs pretty much uniformly fail to illustrate the
trait you claimed (compactness).

> Ignoring the specific example in this case, because we seem to have moved
> on from there, I can't think of a better format for documents which care a
> lot about representation of the information (for example legal documents).

The above is strategically vague.

o  A court's opinion consists of the words thereof.  For pretty much any
   purpose within reason, it could be in ASCII or any superset thereof.
o  A pleading filed in court has to be the signed original.  Computer
   formats are pretty much irrelevant to the question.
o  Documents used in evidence not only mostly have to be the original,
   but also with the ability to be authenticated.

The logical inference is that you're waving words about vaguely because
you really have no point but are trying to arrive at a previously
decided conclusion.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      Linux for Intel:  Party like it's 2037!