[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Tue Nov 11 02:48:12 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Marcia Wilbur wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Michael Still wrote:
>
> > PDF fills a demand. That demand wouldn't exist if the majority of the
> > world thought plain text was suffient. I guess a similar arguement applies
> > to HTTP vs gopher.
>
> PDF gives the illusion of a non tampered document. This myth that PDFs
> are a secure format runs rampant IMHO. Many users believe
> that it is difficult to forge a PDF.

I'm not sure that's true. People believe encrypted / signed PDFs are
secure (they're not), but not the general case.

PDF is the successor to postscript. Newer high end printers are starting
to speak it natively, and it's argueable a lot easier to render than
postscript.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,