[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 10 18:57:21 PST 2003

Quoting Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com):

> I have looked back through this thread and I don't recall the discussion
> being limited to the Web.  In fact, the thread started out talking about
> these new root directory entries in the new FHS.

To refresh your memory on the original context:  There was a hyperlink
to the FHS 2.3 draft standards document.  At that time, it was offered
in PDF format only.  Subsequent to this discussion's beginning, and
after the matter was brought to his attention, Chris Yeoh kindly posted
HTML and ASCII versions alongside it.

In any event, we _were_ talking about Internet documents, and either you
or some dastardly person masquerading as you posted:

> I've never seen any browser render the same document the same way in a
> cross-platform environment.

That either concerned the Web or was a rather subtle and misleading
shift of subject.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."